3/29/2008

Literature

I have always considered myself to be a fairly well read individual, but I came across this list of the best 100 novels put out by Random House. Boy was I wrong! According to the panel of experts, I've only read 9 of the best 100 novels. 9%! That's terrible! My only consolation is that I have read 14 of the best novels as selected by "the readers". Oh, and those same 14 books stand up for Radcliffe's rival list.

My goal is to get past the 20% mark by the end of the summer, we'll see how doable that is, considering that I have two and a half M.Ed. courses to try and finish during the same time span.
As well, I'm trying to listen to M.Div. lectures from various seminaries. I've finished 14 courses so far from Covenant Theological Seminary, a Presbyterian seminary in St. Louis. That's equivalent to a year and a half of full time studies (which I've completed in 18 months, of course without the assignments and exams, and therefore much easier!) They offer 20 courses for free, which you can download in .mp3 format. Gordon Conwell and Reformed Theological Seminaries also offer such courses. (GCTS courses you must stream online, but you can take 10 exams and receive a certificate of Lay Studies. RTS is available from iTunesU with TONS of content.)

Isn't learning fun? Now if only I could convince all of my students to be as passionate (or ludicrously insane) about their studies!

No comments: