10/12/2008

Spirituality and Credit

An interesting article on CBC.ca this week from Listen Up TV's Lorna Dueck on Spirituality and Credit. I am definitely a fan of Christians getting involved in media, moving up-stream of culture to have an impact on our society. I also know that there are inherent dangers -- the need to get published or broadcasted can often lead to the distortion of the gospel message, as well as the need to sensationalize what we say and write. For example, Lorna writes "I hope the church can cash in on our turmoil." Not really the best sentiment there -- pithy, though.

I can relate a little -- I was interviewed last year and at the beginning of this year regarding my position at school. In both cases, the journalist was looking for that elusive sound bite, that quote which could sum a complex idea up ever-so-neatly for people to easily digest. In the first interview, I was far too detailed to be used for quotes. However, in the second interview, I said something mildly controversial in the first sentence, and knew that was the clip they would show on the daily news. I was right. All of the other brilliant things I said were stolen right from my mouth by the interviewer, and used as her monologue piece, then - CUT! - straight to my contentious line. Oh well, I suppose it was worth my 15 sec. of fame!

No comments: